Press Release on OROP after IESM Delegation’s Meeting With FM Arun Jaitley
Delegation Meets Finance Minister
1. On 03 Jan 2016, Maj Gen Satbir Singh, SM, Chairman IESM and Advisor UFESM, along with more than 200 Sainiks and Veer Naris, representing eight states, staged a peaceful and dignified Dharna in front of Finance Minister Arun Jaitley’s residence.
2. The positive response received from Mr Jaitley was much appreciated by the Sainiks and Veer Naris.
3. In the gigantic rally held at Jantar Mantar, New Delhi, on 13 Dec 2015, it was unanimously decided to give 15 days’ mediation time, extendable by max another seven days, to the Govt to resolve the OROP impasse. Yesterday this period ended.
4. As there was no progress during the period, it was decided to escalate by resorting to certain direct actions. To honor our commitment to the Sainiks and Veer Naris a peaceful and dignified protest was staged in front of the residence of Honorable Finance Minister of India Mr Arun Jaitley. Sainiks had come from eight states, most of them from Punjab, Haryana, Delhi, Himachal, UP, Rajasthan, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh, to participate in the protest.
They were prepared to rough it out for days together if contingency so arose, but such contingency did not arise.
5. Our peaceful and dignified protest elicited positive response from the FM. Following points were discussed in a very congenial environment –
a) OROP granted after 43 years is appreciated but unfortunately, notification issued totally destroys the approved definition by two Houses of the Parliament.
b) There was no need to appoint the One-man Commission.
c) Review should be every year and not after five years.
d) Fixation should be at top of the scale and not average of calendar year.
e) Similarly, other anomalies as pointed out to Govt in various letters were discussed. Subsequently duly framed memorandum was handed over to the Finance Minister. Memorandum highlights lowering of the morale of the defense forces because of Implementation of lame duck OROP.
6. FM listened to all the points with a positive mind and assured the delegation that he will discuss the matter with Defense Minister to resolve the issue.
7. May Gen Satbir Singh also politely put across the point to Mr Jaitley as Minister of Info and Broadcasting that probably Media has instruction from the Ministry not to cover OROP since 12 Sep 2015. Mr Jaitley promised to address the issue.
Homage to Martyrs
8. ESM pays heart rending and soul stirring homage to martyrs of Pathankot. UFESM has also decided to pay homage to these martyrs on 05 Jan 2016 at India Gate Amar Jawan Jyoti. We make a humble request to all the citizens of the nation (including serving soldiers and their families) to join us.
Relay Hunger Strike
9. Relay Hunger Strike entered the 203rd Days. There was record crowd at Jantar Mantar today.
Sainiks on Dharna infront of residence
of the Finance Minister
In Front Row is Mrs Sudesh Goyat, wife of
Ex AMC Maj, The Iron Lady of OROP,
who has completed over
130 days of fast at Jantar Mantar.
Some of the Lady Protestors outside residence of FM