Booking of Train Tickets and Cancellation through IRCTC Website
Next Generation e-ticketing System is under development by Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS) to be used on Indian Railway Catering & Tourism Corporation Ltd. (IRCTC) website which would support 7200 e-tickets per minute. This would have high performance and seamless access even at peak time and have high availability and business continuity, scalability to cater to future growth and security to prevent frauds and unauthorised access.
During the period from August 2012 to January 2013, while 7.32 crore tickets were booked successfully through the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation ( IRCTC) website, in 53.92 lakh cases, payment was settled but tickets were not booked. The reasons for such cases include network failure, non-availability of chosen lower berth/compact accommodation, etc.
Following steps have been taken to enhance the existing IT (Information Technology) infrastructure of IRCTC :-
i.Internet bandwidth has been increased to 450 mbps recently.
ii.High capacity data base servers have been installed. This will help in faster through put and response.
iii.Additional Software licenses, application and web servers have been procured.
iv. Mobile Application and mobile website booking have been launched.
v.Continuous co-ordination is made by IRCTC with various banks regarding payment gateway to reduce failed cases.
- ePaylater Project introduced by IRCTC
- Tatkal booking likely to get easier – IRCTC
- Relaxation from payment of Service Charge in internet booking of Railway tickets through IRCTC
- No leakage of email and mobile numbers from user profile data of IRCTC E-ticketing system
- Maximum of 6 tickets can be booked by an individual user in a month – New restriction by IRCTC