7 CPC has done proper justice to all central government employees – Ranson
7 CPC has done proper justice to all central govt. employees by giving an increase of 32% to 56% for the lower ranked person to the secretary level officer. (2.57 – 2.25 = 32% for lowest rank and 2.81 – 2.25 = 56% for the secretary level officer).
During 6 CPC the new pay scale was arrived at by giving 1.86 multiple factors whereas it is now 2.57. DA as on 1.1.2006 was nil. Similarly DA as on 1.1.2016 will also be nil. Before all central govt. employees get into the agitation mode, please think about your poor cousins working in private, banking industries, and other unorganised sectors where salary and perks are much less than the central govt. So be happy and contended,
The true pictures of the 7 CPC recommendations are as given below:-
1. Dearness Allowance : The quantum of D.A. amount receivable on account of revision of pay scale will be much higher as the DA calculation formula has not been changed.
2. House Rent Allowance : Though the varying rates of HRA have been reduced from 30%,20%,10% to 24%,16%,8% respectively it is no way going to put the employees in any state of disadvantage. For example a person with 7000 salary(B.P. + G.P) in the existing scale will get 2100 HRA @30% and the same person in the changed scenario will get 4320 (18000 @ 24% = 4320). It can be seen that new HRA is more than double the amount. Therefore I am not able to understand the further demands of the employees on the subject.
3. Transportation Allowances : The rates have been doubled
4. Annual increment : I think retaining 3% increment is okay because employees are going to get the benefit on the revised scale which is minimum of 2.57 times higher than the existing scale.
Children education allowance/Hostel subsidy – Hike by 25% to Rs. 2250
5. Child care leave : Recommended for single male parent also. A total of 730 days permitted with 80% salary which is a welcome step by 7 CPC for the benefit of the employees.
6. House building advance : Enhance from 7.5 lakhs to 25 lakhs which is an excellent recommendation
7. Group Insurance scheme : Group Insurance Limit has been enhanced to 50, 25, and 15 lakhs. This will provide great financial support to the bereaved family in case of death in harness. This recommendation is in the right direction for providing financial help to the family
8. Retirement Benefits : (a) Employees will get better pension. (b) The gratuity limit has been doubled. Here one can argue that it is going to benefit only senior officers and I think the argument is not out of placed. (c)Because of hike in pay scale all employees will get handsome amount on account of commutation of pension at the time of retirement. (d) Leave encashment – The quantum of amount of leave encashment will also be higher on account of revision of pay. There will 60 to 65% increases in the overall take home retirement benefits.
There are some flaws in the 7 CPC. Only one problem that needs to be addressed is the fixation formula recommended on promotion from one rank to the higher rank. 7 CPC has recommended only 3% increase which leads to lower financial benefits than the existing benefits. Therefore the percentage of increase on promotion is to be hiked to at least 5% to derive some monetary benefit on promotion.
Except for the flaw on fixation of pay on promotion which needs to corrected, the overall recommendation of 7 CPC are beneficial to the employees and therefore there should not be any sort agitation on the recommendations. The compression ratio is required to be narrowed to the ratio of 1:10 or at the most 11 and not more. At present it is 1:12.5 (2.25 lakhs for secretary’s pay divided by 18000 last grade pay = 12.5 times). This is my personal views.
(View and Opinions expressed in this article belong to its writer Mr.Ranson)